Thursday, November 12, 2009

Ratatouille!* (The recipe, that is)



Do you ever get nostalgia for foods that completely define a certain season for you? For me, it's ratatouille in the fall. I remember the first time my Mom made it a couple years ago as a part of Thanksgiving dinner; it was a sensation to eat! For me, it simply tasted like autumn. Since then, it has been a must-make for the autumn/winter season. (Thus my reason for adding it to my Thanksgiving meal this year.) I also used canned diced tomatoes--not only easier, but the liquid adds a certain something to it!

Autumn Ratatouille

½ cup olive oil

2 unions, thinly sliced

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 medium eggplant, peeled and diced

4 tomatoes, peeled and diced

2 zucchinis, peeled and diced

1 stick celery, diced

2 tbsp fresh basil

1 tbsp oregano

Salt and pepper to taste

½ cup grated Parmesan cheese

In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, lightly brown unions and garlic in olive oil. This should take 6 to 8 minutes.

Next, add the eggplant and tomatoes and continue to cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.

Then add the remaining ingredients, lower the heat to a gentle simmer and cook for approximately 1 hour, stirring from time to time. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 4-6

*Note: The vegetables should be cut to the size of small walnuts and you may wish to add other vegetables of your choice, such as sweet peppers, hot peppers, and squash. This ratatouille is an excellent accompaniment to lamb, chicken, turkey or roast pork. I often have it as a vegetarian meal served with cornmeal bread drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled liberally with freshly grated Parmesan cheese. It is best to make one day ahead and will keep well refrigerated for up to one week.

(*Disclaimer: I have never actually seen Ratatouille the movie)

ps: Like the new layout? I've been looking around for a more suitable one, and I figured this one will do me fine for now. But I may switch things up again, should I find one that I like. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...