Friday, December 11, 2009

Last Exam Itch


Ahh, 13 days into December, and I have breezed through two exams this week, finished up a masterpiece of an essay, and now I wait til Monday for the last exam of the (first half of) school year. More studying than waiting, rather (and blogging, as a means of distraction). On Tuesday, I'm heading home! Such a thrilling thought. I must say, I'm excited to see my family and friends once I'm home, and I can't, can't wait to see the dogs.

Now that it's December, it has been starting to feel more like winter here in Halifax. Today, it was super cold outside! We have gotten more snow (which often turned to rain), and it has been quite cold outside. It conveniently started to snow the night of my English exam, and when I came out of it, it was raining and the winds were turned up high. I was also feeling a bit achy afterwards (mentally and physically, haha), so the weather suited my mood, some what. But that's ok, for it's done!

I made myself a nice loaf of banana bread the other afternoon! I haven't made banana bread in a long time, but I woke up with a craving for it. I used a recipe that my Grandma had in her recipe box, but I added my own few little touches to it. She certainly put it straight forward on the card she wrote it on:

½ cup butter (melted)

1 cup sugar

2 eggs

2 cups mashed bananas

1 tsp. baking soda

2 cups flour

A pinch of salt

Bake at 350 50-65 minutes

The touches I added were a tsp. of cinnamon, vanilla extract, and sour cream (to keep it moist, but my friend tells me applesauce works nicely, too). Just mix the wet and dry ingredients separately, and fold in the wet with the dry, but not so much that the batter is lump-free. And there you have it! The kitchen (and the rest of the house) will smell fantastic.

*Update: Upon trying it, I thought it was pretty good--but dense. I looked up alternative recipes, and came across this one. Either that, I'll try out my Grandma's recipe again, and leave out the sour cream!

Other than that of papers and exams, I have been pondering what I want for Christmas. People have been asking me, and I have been having a hard time coming up with ideas. As I've gotten older, it's become slightly more difficult. When I was a kid, it was so easy! But I do have some ideas of what I want:

Either the soundtrack or movie


I'm surprised I even considered this, but I want to see if it's any good!


Something I'd love to recieve....



Thinking a little bigger here... (I used to play the violin back in grade school)


Good, good movie!

And probably anything from Club Monaco. Their stuff is lovely! But I think the best present I can ever remember getting was from when I was about 5 or 6:

Unless I get something like a Nikon camera, this one will still be near the top of my best gift ever list! (Crazy, I know, but at the time it was so awesome!)

Happy shopping....

4 comments:

Lizzie said...

Sorry it's been forever since I've commented.

Nikon cameras are nice indeed. Mine isn't even a SLR and I'm still pretty happy with it. Time to save up money so when October comes around next year I can buy one for myself on my birthday. Ha.

Also, I have that book, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. I have yet to read it because I haven't even read the book it's based on!

You have no idea how excited I will be once this next week is over.

Enjoy your winter and coldness! Here in Florida, the weather is really wacky. Usually it's the low 70s by now, however, as of late, there have been temperatures in the high 80s. I distinctly remember wearing shorts last week! I'm used to Florida never getting THAT cold, but this is ridiculous.

Hope you're well.
:]

Nicola said...

aaah i always wanted that dream dollhouse..but sadly i never got it. :(
er, anyway! hehe, i really wanna read pride and prejudice and zombies...haha, it looks fun.

i hope exam and essay stress isnt too bad. good luck! :)

Anonymous said...

I still have exams in mid-Janurary. I really don't want to have to endure the late night study sessions and large amounts of coffee consumptions. Kudos to getting all of your finals done though, hopefully you'll receive high marks! After going through it last year, I really did believe my head was going to explode. Ensue stressors here. Haha.

Okay, so I am definitely going to try that bananna bread recipe, and will report back on how that turned out. I always steal recipes from my favorite cooking blog, Smitten Kitchen, and they always turn out great, so I'll definitely take on this one. Um, one time last week I tried baking a batch of chocolate chip cookies, and I forgot about them, so nonetheless, two hours later and I go into the kitchen to get a bottle of water and I see smoke rising from the oven. Abort abort abort. Haha.

Nikon produce great cameras, I have had my D60 for about year, and then my dad has a F80, along with an extensive collection of cameras and lenses that I envy. I prefer going old school though and working with film, there's some magical about not seeing the final product until its produced, and the smell of chemicals being buried in the palms of my hands at days at a time.

I love stringed instruments! I've been playing a viola for about six years now. I took it up because I wanted to play the cello like my dad, I've always wanted to learn how to play the cello, but I thought it would be too heavy (I don't know what I was thinking, it's hollow) so I chose the viola because it has the same strings. But the violin is one of the sexiest instruments out there and the music it produces just emits love love love.

I love Julie and Julia! I saw it in the cinema last summer. I would love to take Julie's mission to go through Julia's cookbook in a year. It's so true how the relationship between food and people is weeded into the film though. Every social gathering usually revolves around food in some way or another. Wouldn't it be such a rewarding profession to be a food connsieur though?

So, I think this is probably the longest comment I've written in awhile, but there was so much to say. Happy holidays by the way, I hope your shopping is well sorted by now! Mine isn't. D: I shall shut up now. I understand if you did the TL;DR thing.

Darth Schroeder said...

Okay...

I love banana bread/coffee bread/pumpkin bread/...pretty much any thing of the sort. I think I'm going to try your recipe some time.

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Curious Case of Benjamin Button. So so increadibly good.

Really liking the Nikon camera. Personally, I'm a Canon girl myself, but that looks like a really nice camera.

I used to play cello back in grade school and I still do. I started way back in 4th grade and I almost quit half way through; I absolutely hated it. But I'm so glad I didn't, it's one of my most favourite things in the world. Right now I'm working on Bach's Prelude to Suite No. 1 in G major...what a mouth full. Not exactly easy to play either.
(...That sounded rather boastful...sorry.)

Anyways...Happy Holidays, I really like your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...