Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Chicken avec Dumplings


You know it as well as I do: winter requires comfort in the form of warmth, staying inside, and food. Obviously, we find it best in the form of the latter! This weekend, I experimented with the slow cooker (a gift when you're living on your own), making chicken and dumplings; what a novel idea! I have never made this before, but now it has earned a place among my top comfort foods. I got it from allrecipes; I followed the basic instructions, along with some handy advice of people who had also tried it out. Since I only planned to make a small batch, I just cut up two chicken breasts and that was enough. You can also use a different cream soup (like mushroom) instead of two cream of chickens. And lucky for those of you away at school (or elsewhere), it's another dead-easy recipe! I've just put down my variation of this recipe, but check out the original for other ideas.

Chicken with dumplings

  • 2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • One onion, finely chopped (but I used a Spanish onion and only required half)
  • 2 cans cream of chicken soup (or one of a different kind to your preference)
  • 1 can chicken broth
  • 1 package of refrigerated biscuit dough
Directions:
Place chopped chicken, butter, soup and onion in slow cooker; cover and cook for 5-6 hours on high. When it's been about four hours in, drop bits of dough* in with the chicken and continue to cook until the dough is no longer raw in the center.

*On another note, I didn't need to use all of the biscuit dough (having broken them up into small pieces); since they were pre sliced, I used about five and baked the others. Not a bad thing to have along side it, no?


It sort of looks like a glob here... but it was delicious.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...