Thursday, January 28, 2010

Springtime comes to Halifax for a day


Today was so lovely outside, I could have sworn it was March. I didn't even need to wear a hat or a heavy scarf! It brought me back to that delightfully nostalgic state of mind with the day's warmth, scent in the air, the sun, yadi-yada... But then I heard that we are supposed to go into a deep freeze in a few days. Ahh, that's January for you!
Last week was considerably more proactive for me than usual, and I'm feeling quite pleased with myself. It's only four things, but just the fact that they were accomplished made me happy:

1. I booked an emergency first aid course for this past Saturday

2. I made a spontaneous late night batch of banana cookies (see below)

3. I completed my emergency first aid course and am now qualified for my summer job (and of course qualified to save someone's life)!

4. Caught up on my school readings


And there you have it. So far this week is going well (less proactive), but next week will (hopefully) be even better. Particularly, next Thursday:


YES YES YES YES YES FINALLY!!!!!!

Whew. I am sooooooo excited for it to start up again. I just wish they had better promos on television! All the better to tease us with, heh heh heh. If you're a Lostie also, I'll meet you in spirit on the couch with the popcorn.

Another show I'm excited for?


Ahh yes, I mentioned it in a recent post, but I've been really into it lately! I think it's the new Lost for me.



Speaking of food, last week I was letting my curiosity go browsing on the super cool Alicia's blog Bread and Honey, and it wandered on to what she had labeled under "banana". Lo and behold, the recipe for banana cookies was the first thing posted. Naturally, I had to try them out. And they were quite good! They tasted like banana bread... Only in the form of a cookie, and much lighter and chewier. Plus, the cinnamon and nutmeg added to the flavour. I would make them again most definitely!


Banana Cookies

Ingredients:



1/2 cup (1 stick) of unsalted butter, room temperature


1 cup of sugar
1 egg, room temperature


1 cup of mashed bananas (about 2 1/2 large bananas)


1 teaspoon of baking soda


2 cups of flour
pinch of salt


1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon


1/2 teaspoon of ground mace or nutmeg


1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves


1 cup of pecans (walnuts and chocolate chips are good alternatives)



Directions:
1 Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and continue to beat until the mixture is light and fluffy. In a bowl, mix the mashed bananas and baking soda. Let sit for 2 minutes. The baking soda will react with the acid in the bananas which in turn will give the cookies their lift and rise.

Mix the banana mixture into the butter mixture. Mix together the flour, salt, and spices and sift into the butter and banana mixture and mix until just combined.



Fold into the batter the pecans or chocolate chips if using. Drop in dollops onto parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake for 11-13 minutes or until nicely golden brown. Let cool on wire racks.

*If you don’t have any baking soda on hand, you can substitute with baking powder; just use two teaspoons.

This recipe is also from the Simply Recipes website.

**Teeny error: I thought Lost would be on Thursday, like it usually is, but it turns out that it is premiering on Tuesday. Oopsy-doodles. But on the other hand, huzzah!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wicksh the weather was nice here! It's been so chilly and cold, though we barely have any snow on the ground. I really wish it were spring, it's my favorite season in the whole wide world. You can’t really tell the day it comes and the day it leaves, but in those few short months, its there. The air gets so nice out and everything just smells better. The weather is perfect, the dogwoods are in full bloom and my mood gets instantaneously lifted on a nice spring day. It just reminds me of freshness?

Hopefully on Ground Hogs Day, it'll be determined we have an early spring!

Lost = love love love (triple).

Could I lure you with my amazingly awesome banana oatmeal chocolate-chunk cookie recipe and cooking blog refrences?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...