Saturday, February 13, 2010

Alas, alas


The school work rush has kicked in. The first month back at school was lovely and relatively leisurely--now it's getting to be quite the opposite. However, it is significantly less stressful than my last semester. For that I am quite thankful! But wow, it is going by quick. Didn't I just get back here last week?

One other thing to be thankful about is reading week, which is coming up next week. Meaning I'll be jetting back to Toronto for some chill time (maybe) and some fine home cooked dining. I'll probably even find myself spending my evenings (and maybe free afternoons) plugging away on my history essay, which is due the week afterwards... Ugh. Therefore this week I shall do as much as can to get a good start on it.




Having said that, the Olympics are finally here! Yahoo! If you watched the opening ceremonies, I dare say they were pretty spectacular, weren't they? So exciting. Although it's thrilling to watch practically everything that goes on, I'd say my favourite sport to watch would be figure skating. Ok ok, being the Canadian I am, hockey is too, but on a different level.

But of course, it was so so sad to learn of the death of the Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili during his training. To think that he was readying himself for so long to get to the Olympics, only to have a fatal accident on the eve of the opening ceremonies. How sad that life has to work out like that sometimes. My condolences go out to his family and his teammates, and I wish them the best of luck in these games.

I haven't really made anything of great significance these past few weeks--although I found a great recipe for making roasted carrots and onions, which you can find here, and I made a pizza meatloaf recipe. It turned out quite good! Although when I was draining the juices from the pan, part of it fell into the sink. Oops. I'll be posting the recipe in a few days, and I'll add a little note about that.


One of the many, many delicious recipes I came across. Photo credit goes to Les Gourmandises d'Isa

I did, however, come across Tastespotting this weekend. Oh my goodness, how can I have gone without looking at this for so long??? Since it was Valentines Day weekend, there were so many good looking things on there. Like these (which I've never tried, in fact), these, and THIS.

Hope you had a great weekend! Mine was spent doing research, sport-watching, and celebrating (albeit quietly) in singlehood.

And just to conclude, I present to you one of the loveliest, most touching scenes out there ever.

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

I did not watch the opening ceremony to the Olympics. Those snapshots make me regret it, though.

I clicked on that Tastespotting site and man did those things look delicious! Too bad I can't cook or bake worth a darn.

Have an awesome week, dear!

Anonymous said...

Nobody I know watched the Olympics. :( So I will recap with you okay? The ceremony: I wasn't too fond of the Native American theme and the dancing, but other than that I liked it. But the whole thing with Georgian Luger dampered my mood, I was so said the their county walked in. :( I blew off studying for APUSH for half pipe snowboarding and short track speed skating. Even though, long track speed skating is so boring. But the Dutch fans make me happy. And men's curling is so good with the US and Switzerland. I like all the skiing events, particularly the freestyle stuff. hockey, luging bobsledding. AND the clip of Simon Ammann after his 2002 gold saying, "Gold medal! Jaaa!" was definitely the highlight, and IFL Maelle Ricker, AND ice hockey between the USA and Canada, YAY!

If you like Tastespotting I also recommend Bakerella, I Heart Cuppy Cakes, Annie Seats, Cake Spy, Half Assed Kitchen, and Smitten Kitchen! :)

OH and recipe! :)

Banana Oatmeal Chocolate-Chunk Cookies
MAKES 3 DOZEN
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup (l 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1 large)
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped into 1/4-inch chunks

1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Whisk together both flours, salt, and soda in a bowl.
2. Put butter and both sugars into the bowl of an electric mixer ­with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale. Reduce speed to low. Add egg and vanilla; mix until combined. Mix in­banana. Add flour mixture; mix until just combined. Stir in oats, chocolate chunks, and walnuts.
3. Using a 1 1/2-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until golden brown and just set, 12-13 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks; let cool completely.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...