Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Reign of the Blueberry




Well, there goes my first week back in Halifax. I've since settled in nicely, and as of Thursday I'm back to the old school work grind. The flat my housemates and I have been living in needed to be cleaned up considerably, so we've been cleaning stuff up all week. I'm really glad to be back, though, and doing my own thing--even if that means making my own meals! This week it has been iffy in the meal department, and I haven't quite replenished my food supply, so what do I turn to when I've run out of ideas for dinner? Pancakes. Betty Crocker pancakes, to be precise. With a helping of lovely Nova Scotia blueberries to add to the mix, and they are lovely this time of year.



Betty Crocker's (Original) Pancake Recipe

1 cup all purpose flour
1 egg
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons shortening, melted, or vegetable oil (I got away with canola)
1 tbs sugar
3 tsps baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Beat egg with hand beater until fluffy; beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. For thinner pancakes, stir in additional 1/4 cup of milk. Grease heat griddle if necessary. (To test griddle, sprinkle with few drops water. If bubbles skitter around, heat is just right.)

Pour about three tablespoons batter from tip of large spoon or from pitcher onto hot griddle. Cook pancakes until puffed and dry around edges. Turn and cook other sides until golden brown. (To keep pancakes hot, stack on hot plate with paper towels in between.)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...