Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The best summer movies (according to me)

I'm currently taking summer courses, as I have previously explained. That means less time for doing stuff such as going out (other than down to St. George campus!), staying up late, and having a proper dinner two nights out of the week. Either a Tim Hortons something or leftovers at 10.00 at night. Boo. But I digress--back in the day (meaning in the throws of childhood) when I did not have to take summer classes (well, excluding gr. 3 and gr. 6) and I roamed freely wherever and whenever (half the time), there was nothing like settling down in the nighttime with a good movie and pile of junk food (bring on the licorice and popcorn!). My list of best summer range from the campy to the deranged and creepy. More so of the former, thankfully. Without further a-due, here are my top summer movies, in no particular order:
  1. Now and Then. Ahh, a quintessential coming-of-age 90s summer movie, set in the 70s. You get the best of both worlds.
  2. The Great Outdoors. When I stayed up at my grandparents' cottage during the summers, we had to watch this film it was tradition to watch this film.
  3. Jaws. Enough said. Just don't go for a late night swim afterwards or you might make yourself paranoid.
  4. Sleepaway Camp. Again, be wary of when and where you watch it. (Paranoia, paranoia paranoia figaro.)
  5. Camp Nowhere. No no, not another horror, but a fun romp of a 90s' camp movie for kids. (Spoiler alert: Did I mention Ben Stiller is in there somewhere? Oh wait never mind, I'm thinking of the Heavy Weights, another 90s camp movie. Something I never saw/heard of until a few years ago, as a matter of fact.)
  6. Indiana Jones. ANY Indiana Jones movie. My personal favourite is The Temple of Doom. (You'll see why.)
  7. Speaking of Harrison Ford, Star Wars!
  8. And speaking of Star Wars, Star Trek! The newest movie, that is. My friend and I usually make a point of seeing a good new action flick every summer, and this was one of them a few summers ago. I still consider it a good summer action flick.
  9. The latest? X-Men First Class. So darn good! (And James MacCavoy? 'Sigh'.)
  10. For some reason, Honey, I Shrunk the Kids comes to mind.
  11. As does Honey, we Shrunk Ourselves.
  12. I can't believe I'm adding this... but Mamma Mia. It makes me think of Greece, which makes me think of sunshine, which makes me think of warmth, which makes me think of summer... which makes me think of Abba. There you go.
  13. Matilda (1996). Remember that? I'm pretty sure I watched this every summer til I was about ten. Love it!
  14. Back to the Future I and II (helloooooo Michael J. Fox!).
  15. The Karate Kid (hellooo Ralph Macchio!).
  16. And to close off... Roman Holiday. It's cute, funny, and set in Italy (Audrey+Gregory+Italy=love). What's better than that??
And there it is: my list of favourite summer movies, by means of distraction from studying/schoolwork! (Things never change.) What are your favourite summer flicks?
Ciao!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...