Sunday, June 24, 2012

Thoughts on a Sunday Evening



I have never been to Greece before...

Church of Rodel, Outer HebridesPhoto: Jim Richardson
The 15th-century church of Rodel on the Isle of Lewis, buildt for the warlike chiefs of the MacLeods, towers over the sea lochs of Scotland’s Outer Hebrides. Nothing in early modern Britain, from its cities to its remotest corners, was more political than religion. The church in every parish - nearly always the most imposing building - was as much a symbol of worldly control as a shrine to God.

But Scotland certainly looks appealing! (Thanks, Brave, for reintroducing me)
-Hello blog.
-I've been abandoning you for all the wrong reasons!
-Mi dispiace.
-If anything, I should be abandoning you because I'm too busy, not because I'm less busy.
-The latter is unbelievable.
-Hello, is there any work out there for a slightly inexperienced post grad student out there??
-Anybody?
-I've been asking this question for the past 6+ months.
-Where are you??
-I need a really good jinx.
-Jinx!
-Funny word, so tis.
-But when I feel down and out about the woes of the hunt, I read this to feel better.
-Yes, it does help.
-I need to do my nails.
-Painting them something bright and funky sounds pretty good.
-Which reminds me of how much I want to get one of the ballet inspired colours from OPI.
-You calling me a Lyre?
-As nice as the colour is, I can't really figure out why they used that particular name to relate to ballet, when the rest of them do.
-If anyone out there happens to know, do tell.
-What interesting job that would be, coming up with names for nail polishes.
-I could go with a Beatles-inspired line of polishes.
-St. Jean Baptiste Day.
-Aka, Midsummer Day.
-A la Midsummer Night's Dream?
-Possibly Shakespeare's most magical production.
-I learnt a lot of things about that in theatre class.
-Like, the play-within-a-play theme.
-In fact, I'm pretty sure I still have the classroom slides of it on my computer.
-Man, the 1935 film (which I've only sort of seen) version was something wild.
-But spectacular, and ever-so sparkly (fairies! fairies!).
-As for the 1998 version... I guess so, as I can't remember too much of it.
-Other than the fact it had some big names in it.
-Kevin Kline as the ASS.
-No, literally.
-But I digress.
-Colours.
-I wish things were more technicoloured.
-Sloth.
-Cute, but weird.
-Bet you didn't see that one coming.
-And if so, you must be psychic.
-While looking up sloth videos, I find an escaping octopus, and go from there to walking gorillas with dramatic music playing in the background.

I suppose that's it for now. Unless something interesting things/ideas pop up this week, I'll probably be back here next week blogging my thoughts out. As per usual.

Toodleloo!

How fun! (Come back to Toronto, Matt, I wanna be in the dance party too!)

From here and here

1 comment:

Lizzie said...

I own so many calendars of Scotland so I definitely find its appeal. And seeing Brave was even more awesome given my love for all things Scottish. I'm going to go buy songs from the soundtrack when I'm done writing this!

I hope you are well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...